The Ridgeway Challenge 86 Miles is a fully supported continuous running event that starts at Ivinghoe Beacon near Tring and ends at Avebury Stone Circle. The route is 86 miles along The Ridgeway National Trail, a 5000 year old trackway through the Chiltern Hills and North Wessex Downs (along Grim’s Ditch for several miles), Barbury Castle and Liddington Castle (hill forts) en route, way marked throughout with 1929m (6328 feet) ascent 1991m (6532 feet) descent. The event hosts the British Trail Running Championships Ultra Distance.
Entry open to all qualifying athletes aged 20 and over.
Note that the event no longer offers medals as standard. Runners receive a ribbon at registration. These ribbons can be added to an existing medal, or one can be purchased on the Sunday for £5. The medal can be re-used in following years by simply slipping on that year's ribbon.
Entries to 31st May 2020 (Early-bird discount) £86/88*
Entries between 1st June 2021 to 13th August 2021 (Standard price) £96/98*.
*Includes the additional unattached entry fee, £2, for entrants not being a member of a Club affiliated to a National Association or not a registered member of the TRA.
Full details, FAQs and information about refunds can be found at ridgewaychallenge.com
The event is organised by and permitted by the Trail Running Association, held under UK Athletics Rules for Competition.
The Start, Race Numbers, Tracking, T-shirts and Brief Information
Below is a summary of the event, full details including interactive maps can be found at ridgewaychallenge.com
- Enter online from this website. Merchendise can be purchased as part of the application process.
- Pay close attention to your start times, the header of your confirmation email will say 08:00 Start so check all the email for your chosen start time.
- Registration, water and toilets are located at Ashirdge Car Park on the Ivinghoe to Ringshall road. Cars are parked at owner's risk.
- It is a condition of entry that all runners must carry a mobile phone, supplying the number to the event organiser, prior to the event.
- When collecting your number check the telephone number we have is identical to the phone you are running with.
- Leave drop bags at the registration point. Runners will have access to them at CP5, South Stoke, plus the finish. Bags are left at owner's risk. The event cannot transport carrier bags, even "bags for life". Bags must be no larger than a typical gym bag and weigh no more than 15kg.
- Free minibuses will run from Tring Train Station to registration at Ashridge Car Park from approx. 08:20 to 11:15 on the Saturday. Should you need a lift from the Premier Inn Tring or Pendley Manor contact email@example.com and ensure you receive an email confirming your collection time. No bookings or changes past the 13th August, no exceptions.
- Please consider using trains to travel to and from the event. Free minibuses run shuttle services from approx. 07:30 on Sunday morning to Swindon Train Station.
- Race numbers and Trackers will be issued to runners at the registration point on the day. You are responsible for the return of your tracker when leaving the event.
- Your running number must be attached to a garment and visible at all times, worn on the front or leg.
- The race will start on time. Any runners not being behind the start line will risk disqualification. Please be ready to run a good twenty five minutes before the start. This will leave enough time to walk to the start at Ivinghoe Beacon.
- Shortly after leaving the start line, with the race underway, runners will cross over the Ivinghoe to Ringshall road. Marshals will be out on the road but CANNOT STOP VEHICLES. Listen to marshals and do not wear MP3 players when crossing roads, YOU MAY NEED TO STOP!.
- Car parking at owners risk, as is quite usual.
- Once the 12:00 noon runners leave Ivinghoe Beacon bags will be taken to South Stoke, CP5. Runners will have access to their bag at this location. Once runners leave CP5 bags will be taken to the finish. Retiring runners will be re-united with their bags.
- The event is unable to ferry retired runners to their car, home or any other location. The event will ensure runners are re-united with the bags. You need to have a contingency plan incase you retire.
- Free minibuses will shuttle runners from Avebury to Swindon Train Station from 7:30 and the Oasis from approx. 09:20 on Sunday. Showers are available at the Oasis (paid for on arrival), a short walk back to the train station. Mini buses run an ad-hoc service so don't rely on them to take you to Swindon for a specific time.
- Support crews are not allowed to park on the road at the finish. Please follow the road signs for Avebury R86 Parking. The Race Director reserves the right to nullify finish positions of any runner whos support crews park on the road.
- All runners and support crews need to be familiar with checkpoint locations before the start of the event. Support crews should read the information on the Support Crew Page. Do not rely on race officials for directions as their priority is safety and orchestration of the event.
All runners, without exception, must have a working mobile phone, headwear, torch, a piece of warm clothing and a waterproof top, some reflective clothing.
The runner must provide the telephone number of the phone they are running with to the race organiser plus a contact in case of emergency before collecting their number. This most likely would have been provided during your application. Runners will be able to correct their telephone number and emergency contact when registering on the day.
All runners need to be carrying a head covering from the start, worn or otherwise.
All runners will need a cup as the event is cup-free. Runners, crews and supporters will be provided with cups at the finish.
All runners must be able to demonstrate they have a working torch and be wearing some reflective clothing when leaving checkpoint 8, Fox Hill, during the hours of darkness. After runners leave checkpoint 8 they will cover two significant road sections. Be safe and be seen - remember you are responsible for your own safety! Ensure you have enough batteries to last until daylight.
Be safe and be seen!